Friday 2 August 2019

A blast from the past



Occasionally I find myself looking back through old photos- Things that you might not have seen on the site before- maybe I never got around to publishing them, writing the piece that I had planned at the time, or maybe the pictures just weren't worth doing anything with.
Today's picture has never appeared here previously as it pre-dates the blog! Yes, back in the dark days of Fotopic my railway musings would appear there. Unlike some when the service ceased I did not loose any of my photos- what I did loose were the captions and the huge amount of time taken to upload everything.
This picture of EP07-356 passing Kraków Łobzów on 10 February 2011 was from my first 'proper' foreign rail trip didn't make the cut then either. It was far too overexposed n its unedited form and besides- it was one of the first photos of the trip and was 'just another' green EP07!
Today EP07-356 is anything but 'just another' loco. Unlike the vast majority of its classmates it still wears green, with yellow fronts and lining as one of the celebrities of the remaining PKP fleet. What it doesn't of course have is the traditionally painted coaches to go with it. Back in 2011 the green locos were far from plentiful - now only a handful of specially kept examples are running in traditional colours.
For those finding the profile of the locomotive familiar, the EP07 is derived from the 20 British Built English Electric EU06 class- effectively a Polish version of the class 83! While the 83 is long gone from British metals its derivatives in Poland continue to ply their trade.

No comments:

Post a Comment