Friday 4th September:
Even for an 0905 flight it is a pretty early start from home to get into London and across it prior to the first tube. Anyway, Stansted was a breeze and after some breakfast I was on my way to Porto.
The flight was to schedule, and despite conditions looking rather cloudy, an Uber at around 13 euros got me into position to photograph the 13:05 departure for Valence high on the cliffs departing from Sao Bento. It was fairly cloudy, so still one to come back to.
A little wander around Porto is always pleasant and some lunch was picked up before checking the 1400 allocations. My only requirements from the passenger fleet were 1408 (which is in bits at Contumil) and 1429 which was working in on IR868 from Pocinho. It therefore made sense to intercept 1429 and get it ticked off so that it was one thing less to worry about during the week (of course, this action would most likely mean I saw it on every train I got on all week). The obvious move was to take the 15:20 out of Sao Bento to pick up 1429 on the way back in at Ermisinde with a very comfortable connection.
But then the sun popped out... with the 13:25 departure now starting from Camphana, the only real chance to photo a 1400 from that cliff is the 15:20... a quick change of plan saw me heading back to my location to be rewarded with 14XX in one of the few sunny interludes of the day.
Now I had to get a bit of a walk on back to Camphana in time to get a connection out to Ermisinde and my target of 1429. I needent have worried of course, IR868 was over 30 minutes late, which mean there was time to walk a bit less rapidly and take 2603 on the 16:10 from Camphana and still have plenty of time for a SuperBok at Ermisinde before my train.
Back in Porto it was time to meet up with the remainder of the group who had flown in from Manchester. A sightseeing 'Party Boat', a port tasting and... more port!
Saturday 5th September:
I was up ahead of the group to attempt the drone shot of IR831 arriving into Porto Camphana from Figuera de Foz, with good weather a decent attempt was made despite the obvious late running which left me a little tight to grab some breakfast before settling in to a rather busy IR965 with load 6 and 1427 at the front. No doubt the loss of the summer 'relief' train results in this one being rather heavily loaded with more and more passengers getting on as the trip progressed.
Arrival in Regua wasn't *too* far behind schedule which still left me adequate time for my admin task- picking up a hire car for the next few days. I had often wondered about hiring a car further down the line than Porto and had discovered 'Valpirent' who were in the town center and had allowed me to book a car online for a very reasonable fee. I was pleased to find the door to the rental store open and a lady waiting for me with documents printed out on the desk with my name on! All very promising! The store itself is hidden at the back of a fragrance shot, and the rep also let me know that if it was closed when I was returning the vehicle, she could usually be found at her other job just across the road! Without much English being spoken, I had successfully picked up a little Fiat Panda (perfect for the roads in the valley) which I would now park up for the day...
After fumbling our way into our accommodation (two flats in the town center), we still managed to make our way back to 'the Port wagon' at for some *more* Port over which certain members of the group could argue over how hard done by they were for the rooming arrangements!
Sunday 6th September:
Today was the reason that the car had been hired with the wish to access a few locations which are difficult by train, and simply to give the option to move around between the trains. I had left the rest of the group with an itinerary to take in some 1400's and several bars on the strech of the line between Regua and Mosteiro, with the intention that I could pop in and join them for an ice cream between trains.
My first destination was a small rocky outcrop between Mosteiro and Aregos which I had long been eyeing up. Too far to walk from either station, the car made access possible, though driving here isn't for the feint-hearted with steep twisty roads which make getting anywhere much quicker by train!
The target was the Sunday freight train to Godim, for which I had everything crossed that the big orange beast that is 1964 might produce, having worked the last train 4 days previous. Alas, Euro 4000 5035 'Sara' was entrusted to the job. If only all the Medway locos weren't black, these would actually look quite attractive!
A few pleasing photos taken at this spot, it was time to meet the others for a quick bite to eat at Mosteiro before heading to my next target which was to find a spot looking across the valley from the south side.
Joining the group again after this at Aregos for an ice cream, it was then time for my final 'critical' shot of an afternoon train leaving the viaduct at Pala. Electrification work is very much in evidence here with the first pole already erected, and the 'morning shot' on the other viaduct now fully obscured by poles. Here too there was a small issue in that a digger related to the works was parked right across where the normal shot would be- still, angles were workable and I was please to catch 1415 here in a view wanted for quite a long time.
Now just time to photograph the returning freight, back on the viaduct heading towards Juncal (already poled), and to pay a visit to a couple of the Somafel ex-CP locos which are involved in the works. A pleasing picture was achieved of 1210. Taking a slight de-tour on the way home ALCO 1525 was also photographed, in fairly poor light, at Barquieros.
It had been a long day of driving, but alternative stunning views are definitely available from the roads in this area! Dinner was at a pizza fast food restaurant by the river front in Regua before some more drinks in the old goods shed as usual.
Monday 7th September:
My morning car shot didn't quite go to plan due to a road block near Caldas de Moledo (traffic lights protected a rock fall... but rocks were being felled by workmen blocking the job entirely!) So after a consolation shot of 1427 near the tunnel at Godim, it was time to abandon the car and join everyone else on the train I had intended to photograph- IR861 with 1415 which was taken to Ferradosa.
We had expected the bar to be open here, but sadly in spite of Googles forecast and some other customers who turned up it was not. I wandered off to photograph the return working to find that the place had now sprung into life in time to enjoy a glass of their very nice stout before taking 1438 forward on 865 to Freixo de Numao where we had dinner booked at the excellent Petiscaria Preguiça.
The issue with the current timetable, and lack of the 'relief' train means that you now get stuck down here for lunch for the best part of 5 hours... this was a concern initially, but as it happens, the time passed very quickly and with the 4.50 house wine flowing, the wait turned out to be no trouble at all!
IT was now time to scoop in the end of the line with 1427 and upon arrival there was an addes surprise in Somafel 1441 also being present. A wander into the yard got some nice photos of that in what became rather a quick turn around due to the delay.
The train was taken back, accompanied by a couple of bottles of Port, to Tua where we stopped off at the usual establishment by the former narrow gauge line for a few jugs of their excellent Sangria and some nibbles. After all that excitement it was 1424, the only appearance of a blue locomotive all week, which came to take us back to Regua after an extensive photo shop at Tua due to late running. The run was excellent, especially after all that good wine!
Regua of course brought a few further wine stops and a lengthy discussion with a Canadian couple who were also enjoying the virtues of the region and almost certainly got lectured about how good the railway was!
Tuesday 8th September
The last day on the Douro as a group, and my last complete day dawned with me setting off in the car down towards Tua. The first train was photographed from across the river close to Covelinhas, before the road takes a significant divergence to reach Tua- a town that I now know is much, much easier to reach by train!
My target this morning was to complete the photos in the beautiful Tua gorge, which requires quite an extensive walk. With cloud slowly building and my target train getting later and later, I was beginning to think that it might all be in vein- fortunatly it was not and 1438 was captured in this pleasing scene.
It was now time to de-hire the car, on a fairly tight schedule to drive the hour back to Regua and meet the rest of the group on IR866 back to Porto. I was quite pleased to be done with the windy roads when I finally joined the motorway, and even more pleased when I managed to locate the Valpirent rep at her 'other job' across the road. Formalities completed there was just time to grab some lunch and join the rest of the group on the train to Porto.
I didn't really have any other plans for the afternoon, and the weather had turned fairly cloudy anyway.
IR688 should be a very comfortable plus onto IR871 back to Regua, and this became my move. Not without its worries though- delays had reduced it to around +10 when we were stopped outside Camphana- but the connection did make. Bidding farewell to the group and handing them to the chaos of flying to the UK in the midst of an air traffic control meltdown (their flight ultimately got cancelled), I was now on my own heading back up the valley.
Tonight my accommodation was in the 'usual' hotel, the ugly but perfectly good Imperio just by the station. Having settled in here I soon made my way back to the railway to bother ALCO 1525 which had appeared, now in the pouring rain.
At my leisure I explored a bit more of Regua searching for a restaurant which was ultimately closed before enjoying a pleasant (if somewhat noisy due to a kids birthday party) meal in the old town, washed down with a nice glass of wine even though I wasn't drinking tonight!
On my walk back to the station there was a distinctive rumble- 1525 was alive! Upon making it to the footbridge there was now no sign- but it was clear I needed to grab my camera quickly and head back just in case the beast re-appeared. I could scarcely believe that as soon as I stepped onto the platform it was standing there in front of me. After a few quick grabbed pictures in case it imminently departed I was able to take stock and get some decent night shots. Station staff were unhelpful with information on what was going on 'no more trains', but eventually the crew turned up and then quickly headed off to Ermina where the loco could be found the following day. What a great surprise!
Wednesday 9th September.
Staying the extra day and avoiding the flying chaos wasn't just good fortune, I had planned this to have one final attempt to catch the elusive MLW, 1964, on the cement train. Having stayed away from the Douro for a few weeks I was almost startled to see that it was actually allocated to the train! Unfortunately, the weather was far less guaranteed as a fair amount of cloud was lingering in the area- hopefully it would burn off.
I only had one shot at this as my train home didn't allow me to remain on the line for the return.
1427 was boarded and I grappled with what to do. As I headed down the valley the cloud seemed to be getting thicker. Having not got off at Rede I instantly felt regret. Would the light be any good at Aregos? Eventually I got of at Ermida- if the down train was late I could change and go back- but it wasn't.
Stuck now at Ermida I reviewed my options- it wasn't the ideal location but it would do as long as the cloud kept at bay. With the drone deployed I could manage both a riverside and station shot- but now just needed the train which was clearly running late despite not reporting as such.
When 1964 did eventually poke its nose around the corner it felt like timing couldn't have been worse as the sun was right on the edge of a lump of cloud. I really couldn't afford to get done here- fortunately, it all just about came off OK. The loco sounded fantastic as it accelerated through the station (so much for my expectation of it stopping!) and I finally had my sunny shot of a CP 1960 working a train.
Now I needed to get home, and unfortunately my only option was IR864 which was a unit vice. Still, with the picture in hand it didn't seem quite so bad.
The train was fairly on-time as well, which revealed one further option as the weather continued to improve. I should just about have time to get back to my first photo spot of the week for the 13:05 to Valence. This time the train passed my lens in perfect conditions. A fabulous end to the trip.
Now an Uber would get me to the airport still in good time for my flight home, which despite being an hour late, was much better than the chaos of the previous day.
Another excellent trip to the Douro completed.





No comments:
Post a Comment